Sunday, June 03, 2007

Yorkshire Sculpture Park - Andy Goldsworthy Exhibition


[Hanging Trees]

I've recently been to visit the Antony Gormley exhibition at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my digital camera but I do have these post cards...


[Stone Room]

Some of the work was really amazing to take in - I've seen a lot of photos and been told a lot about the exhibition but it was great to have the opportunity to go and view it in person.

Unfortunately at the time I went to the gallery I was on crutches so wasn't able to go and view the piece's outside so mainly stayed in the gallery spaces.


[Leaf Stalk Room]

The leaf stalk room was amazing, I wanted to walk up and touch the net to see just how fragile the piece was. It really made me wonder how such a large structure was made - is there a trick or is it just time and patients? Impressive.


[Wood Room]

I found the Wood Room really quite daunting and oppressive it made me quite nervous that it would collapse at any moment. It was quite awe inspiring to see - it was nothing like I had heard it described


[Stacked Oak]

I find it really interesting the way in which Antony Gormley has the ability to take found objects (like the tree branches in Stacked Oak) and turn then into a human, controlled shape but not through the use of forming or carving, just through their natural grown shape. Maybe this the way man should work, taking nature and manipulating it but without distorting and loosing it's original form. We should fit into nature, it shouldn't be made to fit around us...

Labels: