Sunday, June 03, 2007

Crosby Beach - Antony Gormley - Another Place

Antony Gormley is one of my favourite artists of all time. I focused my National Diploma end of year art history essay on his work and various other presentations and projects since. I was thrilled when I was offered the chance to go and see his piece called Another Place situated on Crosby Beach near Liverpool. The exhibition consists of 100 cast iron figures cast from Gormley's own frame. Each figure stands to attention, gazing out across the sea as though waiting for something that never seems to arrive...



Still Antony Gormley inspires me, I have recently been reading about his new exhibition called Blind Light which is another step away from Gormleys roots of his human figure sculptures. The piece is a large glass room filled with fog in which the viewer can enter and become lost and disorientated but yet strangely at peace and they see other viewers drift in and out of view in the contained space.




Although he seems to be moving away from the work that attracted me in the first place I think that he has captured my imagination enough that I will continue to follow his progress and hopefully get to see more of his work in the future. Check it out at: Antony Gormley's Blind Light

Labels: